Saturday, December 1, 2007

my own Horatio Alger story

Wikipedia says:
Horatio Alger, Jr. was a 19th century American author who wrote approximately 135 dime novels. Many of his works have been described as rags to riches stories, illustrating how down-and-out boys might be able to achieve the American Dream of wealth and success through hard work, courage, determination, and concern for others. This widely-held view involves a significant simplification, as Alger's characters do not typically achieve extreme wealth; rather they attain middle-class security, stability, and a solid reputation — that is, their efforts are rewarded with a place in society, not domination of it. He is noted as a significant figure in the history of American cultural and social ideals, even though his novels are rarely read these days. As bestsellers in their own time, Alger's books rivaled those of Mark Twain in popularity.

When cruising around antique stores, rarely do I look in the old book section; but when I literally tripped over this book in the hallway crowded with collectibles, I had to buy it. I have heard the term "Horatio Alger story" before, but never knew I was one, until this week. As if it were a 250 page horoscope, I stayed up until 4 a.m. reading it, to see how "my life" would transpire.

In Alger's telling, "Jed, the Poorhouse Boy" is about a youth who attempts to leave behind the oppression of his upbringing and make his place in the world. In his quest, he crosses paths with both robbers and good Samaritans, and learns valuable lessons from each encounter. When the world seems to be conspiring against him, he does not sulk, dwell on his misfortune, or plot revenge against those who intentionally mean him harm....eventhough others would threaten to "step on his necktie." His humble confidence propels him forward. He is gracious in accepting help, and generous in offering assistance to others. Whether met with good or bad fortune, he remains true to his principles and his noble character remains unaffected.

To spoil the ending...it turns out that Jed was actually kidnapped as a child, and abandoned at the poorhouse in order to hide his true identity. In the nick of time, he is identified and reunited with his rightful inheritance and status as an English Baron. (So, pretty much, that is about the only part that fits.)

"Notwithstanding his accession to the ancestral title and estate, he has not forgotten the years during which he was known as 'Jed, the Poorhouse Boy.'"

I will try to do the same.

1 comment:

Bill said...

What a find, Jed! I wouldn't expect anything less of you.