The Pingree Mansion/Jefferson Inn has an unusual color palette. Different combinations of red, orange, and three shades of green adorn the windows and walls. Trying to honor the history of the house I have reinterpreted these colors in the new surfaces and finishes during the renovation.Installing red and orange tile in one of the suites made for a fairly vibrant shower stall. It wasn't until the alternating colors were cemented in place as the base tile however, that I realized I had inadvertently recreated Harry Potter's scarf.
My initial intent was to create the rooms in the context of their arts and crafts and art nouveau roots, and not attempt to produce Anniversary Inn-type "theme" rooms. But with this situation presenting itself I am considering another approach. Perhaps the personality of each room could be inspired by classic or popular literature. I don't know quite yet. What do you think? Maybe I should look past the contemporary comparison, as the effect is quite dramatic in its own rite.
Seeing the bathroom come together, my general contractor made the following comment: "That looks really good! You sure can make colors work together. Perhaps you could get a job designing flannel shirts."Considering that he was wearing a flannel shirt at the time, I decided to take it as a compliment. I think.
3 comments:
You're killing me! That looks AWESOME! I want more pictures of what you're doing with that place! LOVE IT!
I think it looks great!
jed. that is hee-lar-ious! good idea. flannel shirts just may be your thing. lol. got a pretty good chuckle. love the literature idea. it's all looking fabulous!!
Post a Comment