Sunday, March 16, 2008

jealous neighbor

With five feet of snow still piled up in the yard, it is still very much winter in Liberty. But spring is just a 20 minute commute down Ogden Canyon–so driving to work is like fast-forwarding the seasons. Pulling up to Jefferson Square, I am immediately made aware of the need to focus on it's curb appeal. Currently the only flowers on the property are displayed in the stained glass windows, and not planted in the ground.

One hundred years ago, Mr. Pingree built his home across the street from the home of his banking associate, Mr. Eccles. While I don't know the relationship the two gentlemen had "back in the day," this past weekend I entertained the idea that they shared a friendly competition of stellar yard maintenance.

Looking over from the Pingree porch to the Eccles' grand Victorian, which now serves as Ogden's community art center, I couldn't help but feel a little jealous of their sculptured gardens. And so, to some degree, I had the idea of rekindling that imagined rivalry. I've been sketching plans and have consulted some landscape designers. New sidewalks, new sprinkling systems and new sod is on the way. Let the landscaping wars begin.

3 comments:

Angie said...

I can't wait! I love a good war.

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

I understand the rivalry...we are going to try and have a greener lawn than our next door neighbor. It will be difficult, but we are going to try. The new master plan looks incredible!

Jiles Pfamily said...

do you still need a fence? if so i gotta get my dad up there to check it out.