Lately I've been feeling a little Nauvooish. My pioneer friends understand that term–it is a longing to connect with simple truths; the need to analyze one's personal progress in God's plan; and the desire to access inspiration. Quite often when I feel the need to refocus, rededicate and renew myself, I retreat to my favorite destination, Nauvoo: The City of Joseph. It has nothing to do with sentimental souvenirs. (I resent that a generation of merchandisers have Seagull Book and Tape and Bed and Breakfasted it to death.) What draws me there is the sanctified silence. It's the far reaching farm lands, a balanced picture of bounty and industry. It's the consecrated craftsmanship of celestial spires and handmade bricks, evidence of a generation's devotion to faith and family. It is evening light reflected at the river's edge, revealing God's providence, goodness and promise of peace at journey's end. In addition to providing a church history lesson, for me, Nauvoo is an extra-sensory Temple experience.
I am currently planning another pilgrimage for May. Depending on my travel mates, typically I fly into Kansas City and meander my way through Missouri, hitting all of the significant sites, including: Liberty Jail, Far West and Adam-Ondi-Ahman. This year I am adding a random element of sheer fun to the usually introspective experience. The other day I noticed that "Wicked" will be playing in Kansas City in May. I have heard great reviews of the show and couldn't think of a better place to experience the ride over the rainbow, than from where Dorothy was first caught up in the twisted tale.
If anyone wants to join the Wicked Church History Tour this spring, let me know...I'll save some space in my wagontrain.
7 comments:
I am soooo very interested. I wish I wasn't poor, for more than one reason.
PS: CRAZY Christy?!
Jed, You are killing me. I wish I could come. I have been feeling Nauvooish too lately.
oh my goodness.... can i come?! can i come?! i am super poor but really want to make it happen. can we discuss further?!
I love your description of Nauvoo...I miss that feeling. I would love to join you in May, but it isn't going to happen. It sounds like a lot of fun. Enjoy everything about your trip. I 've heard that "Wicked" is great, however the book is not so great.
Hi, I need your email address...my blog is going private and I would like to invite you to be a reader. I have an email address posted on my blog...so please send my an email. Thanks
Aren't you always Nauvooish? :)
Jed, I miss your blogs!
Post a Comment