Sunday, March 9, 2008

undammed

A sweet sixteen years ago, I traveled back and forth across the Glen Canyon Dam going about my missionary duties near Page, Arizona. It was an impressive sight, but for some reason I always felt uneasy traversing the bridge. While I trusted the engineering to be sound, the strength of the pent up waters was evident.

In The Book of Mormon (2 Nephi 9), the Prophet Jacob brilliantly outlines the Plan of Salvation. Today I was tutored in the tragedy of choosing to "remain...in misery," as a devil, becoming stopped from advancement. Like the mighty Colorado River held back from its designed course, we too can become dammed from our divine destination. Power without progression equals damnation.

In blissful contrast stands the celestial conduit of the Atonement. As The Architect of the Great Plan, Heavenly Father tasked His Son Jesus Christ to build the bridge that transports us from Satan's realm to Gods' domain. It is our opportunity to traverse it, and this life is the time.

I want to heed Jacob's warning not to "
waste the days of [my] probation" (vs 27). Consequently, I am currently enrolled in a leadership program designed to distinguish where in my life I am experiencing a loss of freedom, power or full self-expression–where I am blocked. I then receive training on how to transform those areas that aren't working in order to powerfully live a life I love. Like going to the gym, it provides a demanding workout. As part of the coursework, participants create a community project and declare who they are for humanity. It is an amazing experience. I am inspired by the people who play big in the world, and in their lives.

One assignment I have to complete is to "interview" people in my life who, like a rear-view mirror, can see into my blind spots. In the coming weeks I will be requesting some assistance in this area. I am seeking people who can be straight with me, brutally honest with me, to help me see what I cannot see. To those who will accept this challenge, thank you in advance. I want to be better than I am, and I realize that I have to rely on others in order to get there.


I want to do all I can, in order to become all I can, and leave the rest in the capable and loving hands of the Savior. I am confident that He makes whole any deficiency. As Jacob promises, because of the Atonement–the bold bridge–the naked and dirty become covered and clean, and all things are redeemed, restored and delivered (vs 11-14).

O then, my beloved brethren, come unto the Lord, the Holy One. Remember that his paths are righteous. Behold the way for man is narrow, but it lieth in a straight course before him, and the keeper of the gate is the Holy One of Israel (vs 41).

2 comments:

katie and co. said...

Thank you Jed! This was beautiful!

Angie said...

You're amazing, Jed.