Friday, June 27, 2008

anniversary of life

Today I learned that my very good friend and fellow Nauvooer, Erin, is currently welcoming her newborn son into the world. Congratulations/Good Luck/Best Wishes.

Whether the world is aware of it's importance or not, June 27th is a very significant date. In 1844 Joseph Smith the Prophet of the Restoration, and his brother Hyrum the Patriarch, completed their foreordained duty, and returned home. Considering how we remember birthdays, and thrill at soul's entrance into this life, I've pondered a little bit on what kind of celebrations must occur as one is born again into a new life beyond the veil. Another friend of mine, Adris, a pioneer in her own right, coined the term "homegoing." I like that.

I just couldn't let this day pass without acknowledging the incalculable efforts made by the forebears of our faith–those who facilitated earthly access to the fullness of the gospel, for all mankind. Today I am particularly moved by the unfathomable sacrifices of Joseph and Emma. To me they are the ultimate dynamic duo, right up there with Adam and Eve, our first parents. My sincere gratitude and profound awe for all parents who selflessly bestow gifts of new life.

check out this great video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaH_OKPO-zs

2 comments:

Angie said...

Thanks for the email Jed. It made my day! Miss ya!

Jiles Pfamily said...

thanks for the post jed. after my first full day home wondering how on earth am i going to do this. your post was a great reminder of what is really important. thanks for the change of prospective. i am blessed to be a mom.