Spending the weekend at my sister's house, I was reminded of an incident from last winter when my string of bad luck seemed to be contageous. After the fire and flood episodes, Alison 's home was broken into. Taking some jewlery, but leaving behind electronics and prescription drugs, the criminals went after all of her paperwork: bills, bank statements, social security information, car title, and such. Desk drawers were overturned and files emptied. It was evident that it was totally an identity theft thing. When I told a friend about Alison's misfortune she said, "I will pray for those robbers. Only the spirit can change someone like that. And maybe if he or she is touched by the spirit he or she will feel compelled to stop stealing identities and will suddenly feel compelled to erase all info on your sister and her family. I will pray they receive the new heart Peter talks about. That's NEW HEART, not NEW IDENTITY!"
I thought that was a good response. I had been praying for Alison's family, but had forgotten to pray for her "enemies." I think they need our prayers the most. I believe enemy prayers are among the truest forms of charity. Extending the pure love of Christ to those who mean us harm cultivates the Comforter who can fill any void, sooth any wound and like The Wizard of Oz did for the Tinman–create in each of us a new heart.
I think Valentines Day is the perfect time to start a tradition of praying for a new heart.
2 comments:
Excellent idea! Thanks!
Of course! Great reminder Jed. I need to do that more!
Post a Comment