Thursday, February 21, 2008

paradise lost and found

What's missing from this picture?

Two years ago some talented friends of mine sat in this very spot. But instead of facing the glare from a vacant field of snow, from this vantage point they squinted through the spotlights to look out over a supportive audience seated in the hall of the "Old Red Church." Perched on musicians' stools, guitars in hand, they crooned for a cause–elevating us all.

When visiting the Liberty corner the other day, I couldn't help but feel melancholy. Any feelings of self pity were erased however, when I recalled this final community event held at the Chabin. Just a few weeks before the fire we hosted a benefit concert, organized by my sister Fran, to raise funds for the Mama Maria clinic in Kenya. www.mamamaria.org

I learned recently that Peter Kithene, the clinic's founder and Fran's friend, was named as the winner of the Medical Marvel category at the global broadcast of CNN Heroes: An All-Star Tribute. Peter was judged by a Blue Ribbon panel of luminaries, including Nobel Peace Prize winners, musicians, actors, sports stars, and activists. Out of 7000 nominees from 80 different countries, he was one of six heroes honored. CNN's Medical Correspondent, Dr. Sanjay Gupta, introduced Peter in front of a live, international audience of millions by saying: "Let us marvel at Peter Kithene, a man who gave his village not just an outstretched hand, but his entire heart."

I am inspired by a person's dedication to make a difference in his/her community–be it family, village, country, or world. Today I am reminded that from a clearing, with nothing in the way, anything is possible.

No comments: